Call for Scores/Arrangement Competition
Brazos Music in partnership with Aperio, Music of the Americas is pleased to announce a competition for orchestral arranging. This competition is for composers ages 18-30 with a strong interest in Jazz standards. The winning selection will receive a premiere performance at a concert performed by Aperio, Music of the Americas at Miller Outdoor Theater in Houston, TX June 18, 2021.
Deadline to submit is Saturday, May 15, 2021, by 11:59 pm CST.
Submission process open: immediately (April 15-May 15)
Scores will be reviewed at the time of submission.
- Brazos Music Award of $2000 USD
- Option to attend rehearsals and performance in person or online via zoom
- Arrangement will be performed in live concert by Aperio, Music of the Americas Chamber Orchestra conducted by Marlon Chen on June 18, 2021 at Miller Outdoor Theater in Houston, TX, USA
- Audio and video recording of performance will be provided
- Arrangement of Billy Strayhorn and Duke Ellington’s “Take the A Train” for prescribed orchestration (see below)
- Arrangement should not exceed 4 minutes in duration
- Scores should be submitted in PDF form using standard notation software including instrumental parts
- MIDI playback example of arrangement must also be provided by composer
- Scores will be judged based on originality and creativity.
- Students studying composition, jazz composition, and jazz at a school of music or conservatory in the USA
- Composers with experience in arranging and orchestration
- Age requirements: between 18-30
- Current students, recent graduates, young professionals
Jazz Trio (Piano, bass, drum set), winds, 1 fl, 1 ob, 1 clarinet, 1 sax (can double as 2nd cl), 1 bs, 1 tpt, 1 hn, 1 tb, 3 perc, elec gtr, strings (2, 2, 2, 2,1)
About Brazos Music
Brazos Music is a nonprofit organization founded in Houston, TX dedicated to enriching the lives of young people through music education, music performances, and community partnerships.